The solution offers:
Synamedia Media Broadcaster offers service providers a cost-effective and scalable solution for streaming HTTP Adaptive Bit Rate (ABR) live video to the in-home primary screen using network IP multicast.
The IP video growth challenge
Demand for online video continues to grow dramatically across connected devices. The Cisco Visual Network Index™ forecasts that by 2021 there will be 27 billion connected video devices, with 82 percent of IP traffic being video. Live video will increase 15-fold to 13 percent of video traffic, and ultra-HD IP video is forecasted to reach 21 percent of all video traffic.
The market trends present some major challenges for video service providers:
Synamedia Media Broadcaster advantages
The Synamedia Media Broadcaster solution’s primary design goals are to achieve:
Synamedia Media Broadcaster is based on a Cable Labs reference architecture for a multicast ABR video distribution solution released in 2015–2016. Figure 1 illustrates the solution architecture and main components.
The solution consists of three main components:
The Multicast Sender (MC-sender): The MC-sender is a software application running on a Linux operating system (bare metal, virtualised or containerised) in the service provider’s headend.
The primary functions of the MC-sender are:
- Acquire a live ABR stream from the CDN or origin server using unicast HTTP/TCP requests
- Encapsulate the video data and FEC for multicast distribution
- Transmit with rate-pacing multicast data packets to the multicast address group, optional QoS (DSCP)
The Multicast Receiver (MC-receiver): The MC-receiver is integrated into the STB or HGW as a software application running in a CPE middleware’s operating system.
The primary functions of the MC-Receiver are:
- Stream HTTP/TCP (HLS, DASH, HSS_ unicast video to HTTP ABR media player
- Acquire (ingest) ABR video using multicast or unicast, with transparent switching
- Packet error repair using combination of FEC and unicast request retransmission
The Multicast Controller (MC-controller): The MC-controller is a software application running on a Linux operating system (bare metal, virtualised or containerised) in the service provider headend. The primary functions of the MCcontroller are:
- Distribute configuration information to the MC-sender and MC-receivers
- Receive stream status messages from MC-receivers containing channel viewing and streaming statistics
- Provide policy-based or popularity-based configuration of streams to multicast.
- Export data to OMD Director element management system for Analytics and Notifications
Synamedia Open Media Distribution Director is Synamedia’s centralised element management system for provisioning, monitoring and analysing the Synamedia Media Broadcaster solution. The OMD Director is a common EMS for both Synamedia’s unicast CDN (Synamedia Media Streamer) and Synamedia Media Broadcaster solution. When Synamedia’s CDN is also deployed with the Synamedia Media Broadcaster solution, a common OMD Director instance is used to provision, monitor, and analyse both unicast and multicast distribution. OMD Director can be deployed for Media Broadcaster only as well.